Growing pains

 So I've been hard at work working on the stuffz. Well first of all, I will no longer be working on a generic use game engine with Rust. The reason why? Well basically, it's a pain in the ass. :) And there are already engines out there for that. I have come to the realization based on reading stuff on the web, and from a good friend, that this is kind of pointless? No general use engine will be as good as a dedicated engine specific to the game's needs. Besides, using an ECS I will have a lot of reusable code I can just copypasta instead of having some sort of generic lib.

So as for the game I was working on, Retrosic II, I have decided I will be finishing it at least to the best my motivation allows me. So far it's going pretty well, but it wasn't initially. Due to Rust's memory model, I was having a hard time figuring out the design architecture of the engine without using an ECS. I initially was going to use ECS, then I decided meh too much overhead for a simple game. Then I started over again, and again, and again, with different approaches. Each time I didn't really know WHAT to do, but I did figure out what NOT to do the next time. Finally I think I got it. I'm using a more specific approach with the ECS, and also built an event system.

Here's a little bug I thought was kind of funny. It happened because I forgot to "spawn" the HUD text for the score counter, so instead it got attached to the player. :D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change of plans

R-Type Stellar: Rebirth

Hi, new web page, who dis?